Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Things I Wish Weren't in the Bible

...In No Particular Order

The Bible is 100% inspired and infallible. I believe this to my core. It's God's Word available to us 24/7. And we have it in print, online, on our e-readers, on our phones and in my house and hotel room, we have Scripture on the walls and mirrors. 

Scripture is the most motivating Truth there is. Always relevant. 

Scripture doesn't change, but we should always change after experiencing it. Always.

"God works all things together for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28? Boom. On the bathroom door.
"My thoughts are not your thoughts and your ways are not my ways..." Isaiah 55:8? Love it. Good reminder. Put that bad boy on the mirror.
"...we are more than conquerors..." Romans 8:37 Why, yes. That's exactly what I am. Thanks, Paul! High five, God! Score index card for the fridge.
"Obey your parents as you would the Lord..." Ephesians 6:1 , "Do everything without complaining and arguing"? Philippians 2:14. Make em a poster, I say!
"Cast your cares upon the Lord for He cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7? Yes, please.
Hebrews 11:1. Sure, I like faith. All those "Fear not"s and "Do not be afraid"s? I'll take 9.

My spouse has some favorites in Song of Songs I won't even get into here, but Dude calls himself preaching with that stuff. Bless.

My personal favorite: "He who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it until the day of Christ Jesus." Philippians 1:6 is the ultimate marriage of Hope and Grace We are certainly hopeful that the Lord is going to continue the work in us and He is gracious enough to keep working on me.  Thank you, Jesus, for not quitting on me. I sure would've.

Then, BAM!  God goes and says something like "Wait for the Lord". No. Not something like, it says "Wait for the Lord". (Psalm 27:14 and a bunch of other places)
Hold the phone. Wait? Wait? But, Lord, you said "Follow me". That means action! Action is grand. Wait?
'Wait' should not even be a verb. It is the antecedent of action. I would love to skip this one. 

It gets better. 
Proverbs 31 Woman? "She rises while it is still night and provides food for her household and her female servants"? Well, guess what? I don't have any female servants! Men everywhere are judging me right now. Go ahead. You're probably right. I like the part about her being more precious than jewels. :)


"Follow me...let the dead bury the dead" Luke 9:60 (I really didn't love this one when we were preparing for Houston.)
"If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his own father and mother, wife and children....he cannot be my disciple." Luke 14:26
"Sell all your possessions and give them to the poor" Luke 18:22
Man! These are just hard to explain, sometimes. Our love for our Creator should be so grand and so deep that all our feelings for possessions and relationships, including that with parents and family, should seem like hate in comparison. These are hard to explain and more difficult to do.

"'What has this concern of yours to do with Me, Woman', Jesus asked. 'My hour has not yet come.'" John 2:4
Did Jesus just call his mother 'Woman'? 
This doesn't really bother me, but my friend, Patti, thinks it sounds disrespectful and I think that's funny.   You've got to read John 2, those first few verses. Good stuff.

And there's a bunch in James. Whoa. I dig James, I do. But, I don't know that he would have been very fond of me. 
"The tongue is a fire..."3:6 
"You must be patient..." 5:8
Bless.
"Brothers, do not complain about one another..." 5:9 Never? Ever? But, I'm really good at it!

The big one:
"It is a sin for the person who knows to do what is good and doesn't do it." James 4:17
Oh, man. James hates me. 

See what I mean? Some of this is hard! And there are definitely more.
It would be so easy if some of this wasn't in the Bible. 

But, it is. It's there. And it's true and perfect and it all points to Jesus.

"All Scripture is inspired by God and is profitable for teaching, for rebuking, for correcting, for training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be complete, equipped in every good work." 2 Timothy 3:16-17

Love! 
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment